Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Weeping Camel and other docs that rock my socks



While I was incapacitated and cranky with crutches, I made good use of my time by watching all of the documentaries that I have been accumulating in my Netflix lineup. I started with The Story of the Weeping Camel, a documentary about a camel, her baby, and their struggle with postpartum depression. It sounds crazy but turned out to be really touching. I am not ashamed to admit that I cried at the end, of course there is much more to it than I let on. It is really about rural Mongolian life, religion, and traditions. I have added this film to my personal library and will undoubtedly watch it again. Some other good docs are Ballerina, In the Realms of the Unreal, Lioness, Wings of Defeat, Please Vote for Me (mostly Ind. Lens stuff). One doc that I thought was particularly powerful was Stranded: The Andes Plane Crash Survivors. Wow. Of course there were many others that I watched but didn't care to see again. These are just a few that I really liked. I hope you have a chance to watch them.

No comments: