Sunday, July 11, 2010
Lunch with Lesley's gang & a yummy new treat!
I recently tried beet root hummus for the first time and i LOVE it! Here is how to make it.
* 1/2 pound beets (about 4 medium sized beets),
scrubbed clean, cooked, peeled, and cubed*
* 2 Tbsp tahini sesame seed paste
* 5 Tbsp lemon juice
* 1 small clove garlic, chopped
* 1 Tbsp ground cumin
* 1 Tbsp lemon zest (zest from approx. 2 lemons)
* Generous pinch of sea salt or Kosher salt
* Fresh ground pepper to taste
*To cook the beets, cut off any tops, scrub the roots clean, put them in a covered dish with about 1/4-inch of water in a 375°F oven, and cook until easily penetrated with a knife or fork. Alternatively, cover with water in a saucepan and simmer until tender, about 1/2 hour. Peel once they have cooled.
Place all ingredients in a food processor (or blender) and pulse until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings and ingredients as desired.
Chill and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for longer storage.
Makes 2 cups.